1.11.2011

Homemade Christmas Gifts

For Christmas I decided I would make some gifts.  Mainly for nieces or nephews in our family, but one adult snuck in too. 

I love to read craft blogs.  I randomly end out at some destination on the web from clicking through about twenty blogs and then forget to bookmark the page so I can go back and make the craft when I have the time.  U-Create helps me find most of these precious projects. But now that the gifts have all been given, I thought I’d share what I made with you.

Chick Shirt

I made this “Chicks Dig Me” shirt for both my four year-old nephew James (pictured) and my 11 month-old nephew Robbie.  They of course won’t really appreciate the humor of the shirt, but their parents do!  I was able to make this using freezer paper as directed by this tutorial from Just Another Day in Paradise.

James and his Sister, also received matching chore charts (their mom requested these).

photo (1)photo (2)

You’ll have to excuse the glare, I’m not great on my photography yet.  These boards are made from metal found in the hardware section of Lowe’s.  Thomas spray painted them for me and used a nail to make holes in the corner for them to be hung by.  Then I used coordinating paper and my Cricut to cut out the words.  I used Mod Podge to attach them and then put a layer over the whole board.  I got the idea from Lil’ Luna’s blog.

The last gift was really more of Thomas’ doing.  I was so busy with work, that I didn’t have enough time to do all these projects in the last two days before Christmas Imagine that!  So, we cut the corks together and then he hot glued the mat.  This is a bath mat made of old wine corks.

photo

I love how it turned out!  Thomas did such a good job.  What you can’t tell is that on a few of the corks there is blue Sharpie.  The mat was a gift for Thomas’ mom and the corks came from her and a family friend.  She had given them to us so we could make ourselves one of these mats.  However, there were so many that we were able to make one for her as well.  As we were going through them, we discovered the corks covered in Sharpie, from special occasions in Audrey’s life (like some of our beach trips or her 50th birthday).  So we made sure to cut those corks so you could see the writing.  I think it turned out beautifully!  We got the idea from Crafty Nest.

Well that’s all for this past Christmas.  Now I’m working on some baby shower gifts.  These will involve some sewing.  So, we’ll see how it turns out!  I’ll be sure to share.

No comments: